Our Adoption Process
All rescues have their own guidelines when it comes to their adoption process and the dogs in their care. We are no different, however we regularly hear that a potentially good home has been rejected by another rescue because of static guidelines and rules that eliminate potential candidates.
Here at LUOSKO we use the guidelines of Common Sense, each home & family are assessed on their own merits and all potential adopters are considered.
Our adoption fee is the same for all our dogs no matter how old or young they may be as we think that every life should be valued the same. Our current fee for adoption is £300 This helps to pay off costs outstanding and costs towards future dogs to come into our care.
ALL our dogs go to their new homes with 4 weeks FREE insurance. If you continue the policy they will donate a percentage of each policy back to the rescue! All our dogs leave us microchipped, vaccinated, flead & wormed and where possible neutered/spayed.
If a dog has come in to us with no vaccination record may be necessary to re start the course from scratch. This involves an initial vaccination followed by a second vaccination 2-4 weeks later. This does mean however you may need to return to our vets for the second vaccination if adoption occurs in the middle of the vaccination course. However upon request you are more than welcome to have vaccinations done at your own vets instead.
As a matter of course we try to neuter all male dogs in our care providing they are at least 3yrs old (unless medically not viable) but with females it is not always possible as we may not know their season history or if they have indeed already been spayed (it is safest to spay a bitch mid way between seasons and preferably after 3yrs old), however all intact males and females leave with a strict spay/neutering agreement – failure to keep to this agreement shall render the adoption void and we will recover possession of the dog, please note that if a dog leaves with a spay/neuter agreement in place you may be responsible for any costs incurred.
We anticipate that our adoption process should take no longer than 3 weeks from start to finish, depending on the dog, any issues that arise and the family applying for adoption.
Introducing our 7 Point Adoption Process
Since implementing our 7 Point Adoption Process, it has helped us to ensure that we find the right families for our dogs first time. The dogs that we re-home feel more settled as they are not just thrown into another unknown situation and stress levels are kept to a minimum.
In turn both the families and dogs we place have a long and happy relationship and our return rate of dogs is extremely low, we even have a huge after care service including training, boarding & grooming.
7 Point Adoption Process
Helping to create a true family bond
Everything starts after you have filled out our initial application form and arranged an initial consultation with us where you will get to meet potential dogs, take them for a walk or play in our secure area or enrichment room with a member of our team, if we find you have multiple matches this will be your chance to choose the best one for you.
Once we have helped to choose the best human family to canine match you can start moving through the stages:
1. Home Check & Reservation: This stage can be requested at any time and does not need to be done right away, although most people like to reserve there new friend as early as possible. For our home check we now opt for a less intrusive system which will be explained at the point of reservation, however we may still require an additional personal visit in some cases. To reserve your new friend and authorise your home check there is a £50 fee. £25 is an admin fee and £25 will be held as a deposit and deducted from the final adoption fee. If for any reason you fail your home check or you decide not to continue with the adoption process your £50 will be converted into a donation to our general rescue fund.
2. 1 st Stage Meet & Greet This is YOUR time. Come and play with your new friend in our secure area with little or no intervention from our team (as many times and whatever times you choose) this is to strengthen the bond between dog and potential family.
3. 2 nd Stage Meet & Greet By now you should feel some real chemistry! Let’s get you out in public! Now is your chance to start going for walks, local or a little further afield if you want to check out how your new friend is in the car. However no home visits unless your home check has been passed.
4. Quick Home Visit Once you have a successful home check, we advise taking your new friend out for the day doing something fun and “popping” home for no more than an hour – Just go home, show your new friend the toilet areas and let them have a quick look around, while you have a cuppa! This is to reduce the anxiety that new places can cause, and it preps him/her for the next visit.
5. Day outing After the initial hour visit you can now go home for the day to see how you all get a long, you can repeat this stage several times if required or move on to a sleepover
6. Sleepover Now for the big one! Let’s see how everybody holds up with a full day and a night, this is normally the point of which we all know the answer before anyone says anything, sleepovers are a good time to set boundaries for both the new dog in question, children and adults alike. Don’t forget the team are at the end of the phone should you need any help during this time.
7. Suitability Meeting / Adoption The day we have all been working towards! If you get this far then congratulations are in order, happy gotcha day to your new friend and welcome to the LUOSKO family. Once paperwork is signed, you will be issued with your adoption certificate, a quick photo or two, probably a few tears here and there but then it’s over to you as the new proud family!
Please Note if your visits fall below 2 per week, we reserve the right to either re start the process from the beginning or cancel the adoption process.
The idea behind our 7 point adoption is to help strengthen the bond before you go home, and for us to see potential families commitment levels if you think you have what it takes to open your heart & home to look after one of our rescue dogs then please click below to apply.